Mushroom Nutrition Benefits for Skin
Mushrooms provide many nutritional benefits that contribute to healthy skin. While more research is needed to fully understand their specific effects on the skin.
- Antioxidant content: Mushrooms are rich in antioxidants including selenium, vitamin C and various phenols. Antioxidants help protect the skin from free radical damage that can contribute to premature aging and skin disorders.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Certain types of mushrooms such as reishi, maitake, and shiitake contain compounds with anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is a common underlying factor in many skin conditions and reducing inflammation can help promote healthy skin.
- Vitamin D: There are some mushrooms that can synthesize vitamin D when exposed to sunlight or UV radiation. Adequate levels of vitamin D are essential for overall skin health and may help improve conditions such as psoriasis and acne.
- Hydration: Mushrooms have a very high-water content which can help hydrate the skin. Well-hydrated skin appears plump and healthy, and proper hydration is important for maintaining skin’s elasticity and preventing dryness.
- Nutrient Density: Mushrooms are rich in nutrients and provide essential vitamins and minerals such as B vitamins, copper and zinc. These nutrients help maintain skin health and play a role in supporting collagen production and promoting a vibrant complexion.
- Beta-glucans: Some mushrooms including shiitake and maitake contain beta-glucans – a type of complex carbohydrate. Beta-glucans have been associated with potential benefits for the immune system and may help support skin health.